Born: 544 BC
Died: 483 BC
- There is nothing permanent except change.
- No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it’s not the same river and he’s not the same man.
- Good character is not formed in a week or a month. It is created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good character.
- If you do not expect the unexpected you will not find it, for it is not to be reached by search or trail.
- Justice will overtake fabricators of lies and false witnesses.
- To do the same thing over and over again is not only boredom: it is to be controlled by rather than to control what you do.
- A man’s character is his fate.
- Eyes and ears are poor witnesses to people if they have uncultured souls.
- Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play.
- It is hard to contend against one’s heart’s desire; for whatever it wishes to have it buys at the cost of soul.
- Much learning does not teach understanding.
- Deliberate violence is more to be quenched than a fire.
- Even sleepers are workers and collaborators in what goes on in the Universe.
- You cannot step into the same river twice.
- A man’s character is his guardian divinity.
- Change alone is unchanging.
- Character is destiny.
- Men who wish to know about the world must learn about it in its particular details.
- Our envy always lasts longer than the happiness of those we envy.
- The way up and the way down are one and the same.
- You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
- Couples are wholes and not wholes, what agrees disagrees, the concordant is discordant. From all things one and from one all things.
- Bigotry is the sacred disease.