Born: June 21, 1905
Died: April 15, 1980
- Everything has been figured out, except how to live.
- When the rich wage war, it’s the poor who die.
- Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.
- Freedom is what you do with what’s been done to you.
- If you are lonely when you’re alone, you are in bad company.
- Ah! yes, I know: those who see me rarely trust my word: I must look too intelligent to keep it.
- Hell is other people.
- If I became a philosopher, if I have so keenly sought this fame for which I’m still waiting, it’s all been to seduce women basically.
- We must act out passion before we can feel it.
- Only the guy who isn’t rowing has time to rock the boat.
- We do not judge the people we love.
- Commitment is an act, not a word.
- There are two types of poor people, those who are poor together and those who are poor alone. The first are the true poor, the others are rich people out of luck.
- I do not believe in God; his existence has been disproved by Science. But in the concentration camp, I learned to believe in men.
- As far as men go, it is not what they are that interests me, but what they can become.
- A lost battle is a battle one thinks one has lost.
- Fear? If I have gained anything by damning myself, it is that I no longer have anything to fear.
- Every age has its own poetry; in every age the circumstances of history choose a nation, a race, a class to take up the torch by creating situations that can be expressed or transcended only through poetry.
- Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives.
- I am no longer sure of anything. If I satiate my desires, I sin but I deliver myself from them; if I refuse to satisfy them, they infect the whole soul.
- I hate victims who respect their executioners.
- Words are loaded pistols.
- Three o’clock is always too late or too early for anything you want to do.
- Life has no meaning the moment you loose the illusion of being eternal.
- One always dies too soon or too late. And yet, life is there, finished: the line is drawn, and it must all be added up. You are nothing other than your life.